The station was located immediately next to the port of Winterhafen, which opened in 1845, so a direct access to the Rhine was possible.
The station building was a two-storey building with a clock tower and single-storey wings on its south side.
It later carried the tram tracks to Friesenheim and further on to Oppau.At the end of the 19th century the passenger station was extended.A marshalling yard was also built on the line to Neustadt, with connecting curves to the lines to Mannheim and Worms.In 2002, the Ludwigshafen-based urban planner Lars Piske described the station as sinking into uselessness and suggested that it had led to the loss of sales from Ludwigshafen to Mannheim.The line across the bridge over the Rhine to Mannheim was widened to four tracks, and the new station of Ludwigshafen (Rhein) Mitte was built on it closer to the centre of Ludwigshafen.
Kontaktinserate Ludwigshafen am Rhein
The new station was opened in May 1969 station and was described as one of Deutsche Bundesbahn‘s most interesting and attractive buildings.The railway land around the old terminus was cleared and a second highway was built to Mannheim, with Federal Highway B 44 running from the northern end of the new station to Kurt Schumacher Bridge over the Rhine to Mannheim.The current station was built in 1969 to the west of the city centre, but has not proved to be a success due to its poor location. The first station in Ludwigshafen was a terminus in Rheinschanze, now central Ludwigshafen, opened on 11 June 1847 on the Palatine Ludwig Railway to the coal pits of Bexbach, now Saarland.Until the late 1960s this bridge was the only North-South-trunk road in Ludwigshafen, so it became with the increase of car traffic a bottleneck.
The bridge was in service for tram traffic until January 1974.The underground tram station was built in anticipation of the planned removal of trams from all the inner city streets.An essential prerequisite for the transformation of the Ludwigshafen railway facilities was the removal of the freight and marshalling yards, which were moved to Mannheim.In the middle a four-track tunnel of the tram station was built under a pedestrian area; this is also used by the trains of the Rhine-Haardt Railway (Rhein-Haardtbahn).Under the 1962 agreement concluded with Ludwigshafen, the city had committed to the new central station connected to the road and tram networks, so that it was easily reached from all parts of the city.